Alternative therapies for autism
This page is designed to help you research, find help, and solutions that improve autism symptoms. You can use this reference page to continue searching for many and different therapies that have helped others. New products and theories are constantly emerging.
There are many different therapies that have helped many people with “mental health issues” ranging from ADD/ADHD/autism to depression and even schizophrenia. Some (like EEG Biofeedback (aka Neurofeedback (NFB)) or End Point Titration (EPT) or Hyperbaric (oxygen tanks) etc which now have inexpensive alternatives are not included. Google these “names” if you want info on them will.
1. The newest and certainly most cost-effective “brain training” method is the Neuroliminal Training (NT) system. This has now proven to be an excellent and cost-effective alternative to both very expensive Neurofeedback (NFB) training and hyperbaric oxygen. The results are very similar to those of neurofeedback (both EEG and HEG BF). For a fraction of the cost of these drugs, it offers an affordable and much better alternative to Ritalin and other dangerous drugs for middle- and low-income families who just can’t afford neurofeedback or hyperbaric. Both NFB and NT work to eliminate allergens that cause mental health issues of all kinds.
2. Allergens are almost always part of all “brain problems”. There is an easy and free (aside from some detective work) way to spot them. Even if you use the NT or NFB training, this is a good idea!
3. On the continuum from ADD to autism (as well as depression and schizophrenia) there is a good possibility that mercury used in infant or child vaccines (or other toxic minerals) could be the real underlying problem. These mineral toxins MUST be chelated from the body. There are a number of old and new ways to do this:
a. Vitamin C in Large Doses: This has two benefits; It’s relatively cheap and good for overall health. In my previous practice I have used it on many schizophrenia cases with excellent results. It is generally very safe unless the patient has a corn allergy (not that uncommon). For smaller children, I would recommend 1 gram (1000 mg) at each meal for every 40 pounds per child. Overdosing will only cause diarrhea, and it may be necessary to work up to that amount if this occurs. If a corn allergy is suspected, use calcium ascorbate, either in powder or tablet form. I buy the cheapest form of ascorbic acid from Cosco, but my wife (who has a corn allergy) has to use calcium ascorbate.
b. Inject chelating agent: A therapy in which a chelating agent (EDTA) is injected into a vein for about an hour at a clinic. This is also quite expensive. Not recommended.
c. Liquid Zeolite: A newer oral method (and relatively expensive). This is actually a form of lava rock that is very porous, and this porosity attracts and binds to heavy metals (mercury, lead, copper, etc.) and carries them out through the urinary/renal pathway. The reports are excellent, but it’s marketed through a sort of MultiLevelMarketing (MLM) scheme that makes it more expensive. The base retail price is around $50, but if you become a distributor it drops to around $33. You can get more details by googling “zeolite”.
i.e. Glutathione Supplements: There is a supplement (new to me) that is specifically designed to increase glutathione levels in the body. Glutathione is a natural combination of amino acids that is a powerful antioxidant with several other interesting properties:
It is an important part of the immune system that is often overlooked by scientists. Glutathione detoxifies the body by eliminating toxins, including mercury and other toxic minerals. (Similar to chelate but most other toxins as well as minerals.) It is not well absorbed when taken as a direct supplement. This is important because there are many supplements that contain glutathione that are generally not effective.
Low glutathione levels are found in all autistic children, as well as many other sick or toxic individuals. These low values do not allow good elimination. This explains why hair, blood, and urine tests for mercury (and other minerals) don’t show exactly what’s stored in the body.
Add-On Price – $85 for a 28-day supply. Again not cheap but seems worth the price if you can afford it.
4. There is a company that advocates a special “Body Ecology Diet”. This has had good results with autism and virtually all other health problems. It includes many products designed to effectively make the human body work better and more efficiently. It contains some very good probiotics as well as others that help get rid of yeast overgrowth and leaky gut syndrome. Again, not cheap, but worth it if it’s affordable for your family.
5. What do digestive enzymes have to do with ADD/ADHD and autism? “Leaky Gut Syndrome” creates more allergies/sensitivities and enzymes with meals break down food better, reducing the need for the “leaky gut”. This has helped many ADD/ADHD and autistic individuals.
a. There is a bulletin board sponsored by Kirkman Labs with a forum dedicated to specific digestive enzymes. Get involved with: [email protected].
b. Another company that has an excellent line of enzymes is New Beginnings. In addition to the enzymes, they contain many gluten/casein free supplements and a “purified source” of cholesterol (see below).
6. At the recent conference in Orlando, I also learned that many autistic people have low cholesterol and that supplementing with two egg yolks a day can improve many symptoms. This is certainly easy and cheap to try. If the person has an allergy to eggs (not uncommon), then a “purified” cholesterol can be obtained from the New Beginnings supplier mentioned above that is non-allergenic.
7. For autistic (and ADD/ADHD) children, there is a lot of evidence that a gluten and dairy free diet can help significantly. Google gfcf for more information. (The caveman diet above includes this and many other common allergenic foods. Try it for a week or so, then switch to gfcf.)
8. The latest research also shows that fish oil supplementation can dramatically improve ADD autism problems. I use Our Health Co-op Salmon Fish Oil. This web-based health food store is one of the best in terms of quality and pricing. (I have no financial interest in this company or Solgar, but I buy some supplements from them.)
9. There is a drug therapy called LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone). Despite being a drug, it appears that in low doses it can significantly reduce many disease problems. org Some good results for autistic people have been reported. (Symptoms) of autism, HIV/AIDS, cancer etc.
10. Another new nutritional therapy consists of supplemental glyconutrients. A company called Mannotech markets these through an MLM (which I hate) and they seem to help with some ADD autism symptoms. For more details on glyconutrients – a newly discovered essential nutrient – check out both Mannotech and glyconutrients by googling them.
11. There is also a therapy technique called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) that has also shown some good results for ADD/ADHD, depression etc. This was compiled by Gary Craig.
12. Some have had good results with NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique). However, the results have been mixed, and Dr. Nambudripad has been dissatisfied with many practitioners who do not follow their technique carefully.
13. There is a NAET-like system called Bioset. There is a book Food Allergy Cure by Dr. Ellen Cutler explaining how to use Bioset to eliminate allergies. This can also be done at home, as the How To book explains. Check your local library and see if they can order it for you, or you can probably get it from Amazon.com. Google Bioset.
14. Do not forget about a very important way to improve all mental “illnesses”. Help resolve “Leaky Gut Syndrome” by cleansing the gut and supplementing with a good vitamin/mineral regimen. This should be a first step.
15. Finally one of the oldest, cheapest & most effective “remedies” ever – Magnesium! It has been known for years as a “calming chemical.” In our culture, we rarely get enough, and this lack can exacerbate many mental health problems. It is certain that overdosing like vitamin C will only give you diarrhea! Milk of magnesia and Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) are two very old good products that are often overlooked today. Especially for autistic and ADHD children, try Epsom salt baths. It has helped many children and adults. I prefer magnesium citrate daily for supplemental use. I get this from the Health Co-op mentioned above.
There is also a lot of free information on my website, drbate.com, and you can get a free copy of the full book, The Health Revolution, by signing up for my free newsletter on this home page.
Thanks to Phil Bate Ph.D.