30 Seconds to Easy Self Hypnosis. A Must-Know For everyone
Self hypnosis, in one form or another has been practiced for a very long time. While it is a serious therapeutic technique, self hypnosis is also a very soothing and calming experience and if practiced regularly, can help you transform yourself.
Originally, self hypnosis was thought of as sleep, then as an “altered state of consciousness”. Only after using instruments to monitor brain activity did researchers learn that there was negligible difference between someone in a trance or hypnosis, and someone not. Peoples experiences with self hypnosis vary widely depending on their own expectations, but there are some commonalities. For instance, most people experience a reduced awareness of events going on around them including noises and conversations. Although people are not unconscious when under self hypnosis, many experience extreme relaxation and seem to have reduced awareness of their own body including their arms and legs.
Nearly everyone can learn effective techniques for self hypnosis. Whether your goal is weight loss or to stop smoking, self hypnosis can be a very useful treatment option for many different health and emotional problems.
Let’s look at the reasons why self hypnosis can be such an appealing option:
1. It is not a drug, so therefore there are no side effects.
2. It is non-invasive which means there is no surgery and nothing gets inserted into the body.
3. Self hypnosis is also relatively inexpensive when compared to other forms of treatment, and can usually show results within one or two treatments.
Self hypnosis is the original mind/body medicine. It helps you regulate your behavior, alter your thoughts, and use your mind to control your body. To be effective, you must get into a meditative state to change your thought process in order to change your behavior. However, this does not mean you have to be in a relaxed state so to speak. Although this is helpful, self hypnosis can be effective even when you’re tense, upset, or unhappy.
As you begin to learn about self hypnosis, you will discover a method that works best for you. Doing this without any guidance from anyone can be difficult. The first step in achieving your goals with self hypnosis is to research and learn as much as you can on the subject so you know what to expect.
Self-hypnosis is a very powerful tool you can use to change just about any aspect of yourself, but it is not a magic cure and is usually only effective if you truly want to make a change.
There are many ways in which to induce a tranquil, relaxed state of mind, in which the body is still, and the conscious mind is simply placed aside for a while as the subconscious mind assumes a more dominant role, and allows the therapeutic cognitive processes which are innate in all of us to become active. One of such is self hypnosis.
This state of mind, known as the hypnotic state is very simply created by;
– Focusing one’s attention.
– Relaxing the body.
– Allowing unnecessary thoughts to enter, then exit, without any rationalisation.
This process of self hypnosis can be easily accomplished by the technique that follows. It is known as the “Eye Roll Technique’, and is a very old but powerful way of entering a safe therapeutic hypnotic trance. When in this relaxed state of mind, it is possible to offer oneself any positive suggestions or affirmations in order to bring about the changes which you desire. Examples of positive statements and affirmations are given further on.
THE SELF HYPNOSIS TECHNIQUE.
- If possible, find yourself a quiet place and either sit down or lie down comfortably.
- Roll up your eyes, just as if you were trying to look at your eyebrows.
- Allow your eyelids to slowly close, and as you do so, take in a deep breath and hold it.
- As you slowly exhale, allow your upturned eyes to return to their normal position.
- As you finish exhaling, enjoy that gentle, floating sensation that you will experience.
- At the same time, imagine your right hand to be very light, like it has a childs helium balloon tied to it making it rise gently. You may be surprised at the ease by which your hand and arm seem to float up by themselves.
- This floating hand signal is a signal from your subconscious mind that you are entering a state of deep relaxation.
- As you remain in this deeply relaxed, hypnotic state of mind, offer yourself any positive, therapeutic suggestions which you feel will help to bring about the changes you really want or need.
- Remain in this state for 10-20 minutes, that’s really all that’s needed.
You can repeat the process as many times a day as you like.
EXITING THE TRANCE STATE.
- Roll up your eyes behind your closed eyelids.
- Very slowly, allow your eyelids to open, and the eyes to focus.
- Make a tight fist with your right hand, and as you do, allow this light floating hand to drift down into a comfortable position. As it comes to rest, release the tight fist and gently stretch those fingers.……FINISHED !!!!
If necessary, the exit from the trance state can be accomplished any time by going through the steps listed above.
It may take you a little time to perfect the self hypnosis technique, especially if you are the ‘on the go all the time’ sort of person. Relaxation comes easier to some people than to others, so always bear this in mind.
Remember, if you want to make positive changes in your life, this relatively short use of your time can pay great dividends in the end. The beauty of it is that once you have practiced and mastered the technique, you will be able to enter the relaxed state much more easily and deeply.
Another point to remember is that everyone is capable of entering into a hypnotic state.
But just as we are all different, so is the ease with which we enter into a hypnotic trance.
Some will succeed on their first or second attempt, where as others may need many more attempts. It took me a week and a half, and about 15 attempts before I achieved a hypnotic state. The motto is—PERSERVERE. It may take time, but the rewards are well worth the effort.