A Balanced Diet: What Is It and How to Achieve It?
Eating a balanced diet simply means consuming the right types of food, in the right amounts, and in the recommended amounts so your body can absorb the nutrients it needs for health. It is important to have one as it ensures prevention of obesity, diabetes, some cancers and diseases.
According to The Australian Guide to Healthy Eating, the number of daily servings needed of each food group to meet your body’s daily nutritional needs can be broadly broken down as follows:
Carbohydrates: 6 – 9
Egg white: 1 – 2
Fats: 1 Dairy products: 2 – 3
Next, you would need to know what constitutes a serving of a food group.
• 1 slice of bread
• 1 cup of rice or pasta or noodles
• ¾ cup ready-to-eat granola
• 1 medium bun
• 70-90 grams of cooked lean meat/fish/poultry
• 2 small eggs or 1 large egg
• ½ cup peanuts/almonds
• 2 small lamb chops
• 1 tsp vegetable oil/butter/peanut butter
• 5 grams of fat in foods such as cakes and pastries
• 1 cup of yoghurt/milk
• ½ cup of ice
• 1 slice of cheese
• ½ cup freshly squeezed juice
• 1 apple/orange/banana
• ½ cup chopped fresh fruit
• ¼ cup raisins or dried fruit.
• Half a cup of cooked vegetables
• A whole tomato
• 10 baby carrots
• 1 cup of salad greens
Well, a big problem with trying to follow this guide to make sure your body has all the nutrients it needs to be healthy is that a person (for example) eats at least 2 slices of bread, 4 cups of it would have to eat rice, 70 grams of boiled meat simmered in some vegetable oil, 2 cups of yogurt, 2 apples, 30 baby carrots and 4 cups of boiled vegetables per day. Although this is easy for some to achieve, it is for many others, especially those who lead very busy lives or are trying to reduce their portion size and calories lose weight , it is not. Therefore, I have put together some recommendations and tips for a balanced, healthy diet.
• Try to choose foods with a high nutrient density, such as: B. A sandwich with lean meat and vegetables. This provides a higher amount of vitamins and minerals without too many calories
• Avoid high-calorie but low-nutrient foods. These are mainly foods such as sweets, soft drinks and cakes.
• Always serve a salad with your main meal at lunch and dinner. This will ensure that you increase your intake of vegetables.
• Swap rice/noodles/pasta for bread, 1 slice of bread is already 1 serving of carbs!
• A cup of freshly squeezed juice in the morning covers your recommended daily intake of fruit
• If you have a busy lifestyle or are trying to lose weight and still find it difficult to meet daily needs, it’s also a good idea to take supplements. Dietary supplements can ensure that your body is getting all the nutrients it needs when you are unable to consume enough food so your body can extract the vitamins and nutrients it needs to achieve optimal health.
However, please remember that it is important not to substitute the supplements for your real fruits and vegetables (if you choose to take them). Nothing can ever replace a healthy diet!
Thanks to Regina Cheah