When the yearning for a giant bowl of mac and cheese hits, it hits onerous. However should you’ve acquired meals allergic reactions or dietary restrictions, fulfilling that craving takes just a little creativity. Fortunately we’ve accomplished the leg be just right for you with this ridiculously creamy, veggie-packed, vegan cauliflower mac and cheese recipe that’s dairy-free AND grain-free. Belief us, it completely hits the spot both by itself (because of that salty-herby ‘bread crumb’ topping’) or as a facet dish. We cherished this recipe!
Tacky with out the cheese
This one is for all of our veggie-loving buddies on the market. Not simply these following a plant-based or vegan weight-reduction plan or those that don’t tolerate dairy. It’s for everybody who likes to tuck into a giant bowl of creamy, dreamy, tacky consolation meals.
We’ve tailored our vegan nacho cheese to make a delightfully tangy, ultra-creamy vegan cheese sauce. Then we used it to smother fork-tender bites of steamed cauliflower, earlier than topping the entire thing with grain-free “bread crumbs” (learn: savory garlic and herbs blended with almond flour and olive oil). The end result? A dairy-free, Paleo-friendly, plant-based bowl of consolation that’s excellent for these days whenever you need one thing indulgent however don’t wish to (or can’t) go completely off the rails with the actual deal.
This publish accommodates affiliate hyperlinks that gained’t change your value however will share some fee.
What You’ll Want for Vegan Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Cauliflower – Whereas we examined the recipe with recent cauliflower that we steamed to fork-tender, you can use frozen cauliflower florets which were steamed and well-drained.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes – Potatoes make the sauce further creamy and make this vegan cheese sauce lighter than typical cashew-based sauces. You may substitute peeled Russet or red-skinned potatoes in a pinch however Yukon Gold’s produced the perfect outcomes throughout testing.
- Carrots – Carrots give the sauce it’s signature yellow-orange colour and just a little increase of beta-carotene.
- Raw Cashews – Uncooked cashews will provide you with the creamiest mix but when all you might have are roasted cashews, these will work should you give them an additional 10 minutes of soaking. Macadamia nuts can be utilized instead of cashews if desired.
- Unsweetened, Plain almond or cashew milk – Could substitute with plain, unsweetened nut milk of alternative.
- Nutritional Yeast – These funky yellow flakes are what give vegan cheese sauces their tangy, tacky taste and whilst you may depart them out, you’ll be lacking out on the acquainted savory-umami taste that we sometimes affiliate with (actual) cheese.
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil – Avocado oil or one other light-tasting oil may even work.
- Dijon Mustard
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
Shop Thrive Market to get the perfect costs on pure, natural, and specialty meals. PLUS get a free present whenever you sign-up!
Find out how to make Vegan Cheese Sauce
Step 1: Place the uncooked cashews in a medium heat-proof bowl. Then pour boiling water over cashews and place a lid or plate over the bowl and permit cashews to soak for about 30 minutes.
Step 2: Peel and minimize potatoes and carrots then place them in a small saucepan with water and produce to a boil. Then cut back the warmth a bit, as wanted, to forestall a boil-over however preserve the temperature excessive sufficient to take care of a low boil or vigorous simmer. Cook dinner till the veggies are very tender, then take away from warmth. This could take about 15-20 minutes (relying on how massive the items are).
Step 4: Add almond milk, dietary yeast, lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic and onion powders, salt, and black pepper to the meals processor or blender. Place the lid on the blender and puree till easy. Style and regulate seasonings as wanted.
Can I Make the Vegan Cheese Sauce Forward of Time?
Sure! This may be made as much as Three days upfront and saved in a tightly lined bowl or jar within the fridge till prepared to make use of. Along with utilizing it on this vegan mac and cheese, it’s scrumptious served over quite a lot of veggies, with cooked pasta (suppose dairy-free mac ‘n’ cheese with hidden veggies!), or you possibly can stir in a few of your favourite salsa and just a little lime juice for a straightforward dairy-free queso dip.
Find out how to Make Vegan Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375℉. Make the vegan cheese sauce as directed.
Step 2: Whereas the veggies are boiling for the cheese sauce, minimize the cauliflower into bite-sized items and steam it till simply tender with poked with a fork. We wish to steam it in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket on the range, however you can even place the cauliflower in a steamer basket use the ‘steam’ operate in your Instant Pot and set it for 1 minute.
Step 3: Coat a 9×9-inch (or one other small baking dish) with oil or cooking spray. Place steamed cauliflower florets within the baking dish and toss with the sauce, stirring properly to coat.
Step 4: Make the ‘breadcrumb’ topping by combining almond flour, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, parsley, and olive oil in a small bowl. Stir with a fork or use your fingers to mix. Sprinkle over the cauliflower.
Step 5: Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or till cheese sauce is bubbly. Serve instantly.
How Do I Retailer Vegan Mac and Cheese?
Vegan cauliflower mac and cheese is nice for meal preps whenever you desire a fast reheat-and-eat dish or facet dish. To retailer, cool on the counter for a minimum of 30 minutes earlier than transferring to a container with a lid or cowl the baking dish with foil and place within the fridge for as much as Three days.
We don’t suggest freezing this recipe as an entire, as it would get very watery when thawed and reheated. Nevertheless, you possibly can freeze the vegan cheese sauce for as much as 2 months. Then whenever you’re able to thaw, place the container within the fridge to thaw in a single day earlier than gently reheating the sauce in a saucepan over medium warmth on the stovetop.
How Do I Reheat Cauliflower Mac and Cheese?
Stovetop – Place the cauliflower mac and cheese in a skillet or saucepan over medium warmth. Warmth, stirring often till sauce is sizzling and bubbly and cauliflower is heated by.
Toaster Oven – In the event you saved the mac and cheese in an oven-proof container, take away the lid and canopy the dish tightly with foil. Then place in a toaster oven set to 350℉ for 15-20 minutes till sizzling and bubbly.
Microwave – Place the specified portion in a microwave-safe dish and canopy with a moist paper towel. Warmth 45-90 seconds, relying on the wattage of your microwave, or till heated by. Stir earlier than serving.
- 1 massive head of cauliflower (~ 2 ½ lbs.), trimmed and minimize into bite-sized florets
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled minimize into small cubes (~ 1 cup or 6 oz.)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced small
- ½ cup uncooked cashews, soaked in sizzling water for 30 minutes then drained
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp. unsweetened, plain almond or cashew milk
- 2 Tbsp. dietary yeast
- 2 tsp. recent lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ tsp. onion powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper
For the ‘breadcrumb’ topping:
- ¼ cup finely floor almond flour
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 tsp. finely minced recent parsley or ¾ tsp. dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Place cashews in a heat-proof bowl and canopy with boiling water. Place a plate over the bowl and put aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a small saucepan with water on the range and produce to a boil. Cook dinner till veggies are very tender, about 15-20 minutes (relying on how massive the items are).
- Whereas the carrots and potatoes are cooking, place cauliflower in a steamer basket in a big lined pot. Add water to pot and steam, lined, till cauliflower is tender (about 15 minutes).
- To make the sauce, add drained carrots, potatoes, and cashews to a meals processor or blender.
- Add almond milk, dietary yeast, lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic and onion powders, salt, and black pepper to the blender. Place the lid on the blender and puree till easy. Style and regulate seasonings as wanted.
- Coat a 9×9-inch (or one other small baking dish) with oil or cooking spray. Place steamed cauliflower florets within the baking dish and toss with the sauce, stirring properly to coat.
- Make the ‘breadcrumb’ topping by combining almond flour, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, parsley, and olive oil in a small bowl. Stir with a fork or use your fingers to mix. Sprinkle over cauliflower with cheese sauce.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or till cheese sauce is bubbly.
- Serving Dimension: 1/4th Recipe
- Energy: 305
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 675mg
- Fats: 21g
- Saturated Fats: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 9g
Pin this now & Make it later!
All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. In the event you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your personal distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to the supply recipe right here on The Actual Meals Dietitians. Thanks!
Picture Credit score: The pictures on this weblog publish have been taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.